Tuesday, March 06, 2007

And Now, We Wait

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair." - George Burns
Phew, I've recovered from my pesky virus, which means I've got a lot more living and slogging to do.
Thanks for googling my illness, even though I'm sure you have better things to do on a cold, stormy and hail-ridden Canberra night. Or maybe not. Oh heck, that's not the point - you know what I mean.
It's been a slaughter fest on the markets, and you know it is really hurting when the elegantly grand dining room at Raffles Hotel is virtually empty, except for the three of us journos.
A few weeks ago, it would have been filled with the low hum of busy chatter, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a spare table. It is now so still, every word, every clink rings through the airy, chandeliered room.
"What is the greatest thing about being a journalist?" asked the old boss.
"Um... being in the front seat when something big unfolds?"
"The big stories. We live for the big stories," he said.
I guess this week counts for a biggie. As with every storm, the only thing to do is to wait it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home